This blog was about me and my inability to stay sane during our adoption from China. But we now have our beautiful daughter so this blog is just about our boring old life.
Monday, January 26, 2009
I thought I'd explain what I mean when I talk about rumors from China. Approximately every month China sends out a batch of referrals. Referrals are information about your child and it's the first time you get to see your baby and learn anything about her. It's a pretty exciting time. We never know when (or if) China is going to send the referrals. And to make it more fun the CCAA (China Center of Adoption Affairs, the central agency that handles domestic adoptions in China) tells different information to different adoption agencies. Then sometimes there will be a "leak" where someone who works there and we'll have some added information. China is very erratic and secretive about the whole process so any information we can glean is greedily accepted. Luckily there is a blogger that checks all the different adoption agency's websites in American and Europe and people send her rumors they've heard. She's called The Rumor Queen. Sometimes she gets a little preachy, but that doesn't stop me from checking her site 20 times a day to see if she's heard anything new. Well, I used to check her site 20 times until my school district blocked it! (Bastards!) So now I have to e-mail my friend and ask her to check Rumor Queen for me and e-mail me back if there is any new information (Hi Anna!). Of coarse I do all this during my breaks and lunch time. No really, I do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I have an adoption question. I know a single person can still adopt from some countries (but not China anymore). But does a person have to be a home owner to be considered for adoption? Does the "home study" have to be in a home? :)
Or can a person still be renting an apartment when applying for adoption?
Hi Liz! :)
Oh - and I do all my checking on lunch and breaks too. I would never think of anything else! ;o)
Wow! It's sad that everything is tangled up in some kind of red tape.
As for Karen's comment, I didn't know about the marriage requirement. Hum....wonder if same sex marriages are OK. Probably not. Just curious, though.
Hang in there!
Me again. BTW, I'm not in a same sex marriage but I am interested in this issue as we have friends and relatives in this situation.
I agree that it's ridiculous that it has to be this complicated. Here you have a loving and willing couple who can provide a great home for an orphaned child, and it's nearly impossible to make it happen. It makes me crazy and I am about as far removed from this issue as you can get. I can't even imagine how you feel.
Thanks, this helps explain a lot. I thought you just flew over there, grabbed the first Chinese baby you saw, and then flew back.
Hi Karen,
No, you don't have to own a house, renters can adopt too. But you are right, you can't be single and adopt from China anymore. If I were to start the process right now I would go to Ethiopia. It's pretty fast, affordable and you don't have to be married.
Anna,
I know, I'm such a conscientious worker, I'd never think of doing personal stuff on school time :P
RG,
China will not adopt to same sex couples. In fact they have a new list of requirements to adopt.
Jeff,
Thanks for sympathising with me. I makes me and my family crazy too. Hopefully the wait will be over soon!
padarig,
Thanks, but I would never do anything to get our tech people mad. I do everything I can to keep them happy so they don't get too mad at me when I unintentionally break my computer!
VE,
I wish!!
I am thinking of India. My goal is to have my bills paid off in 2009 - still paying for undergrad school!
Start the application process in 2010? Very possible!
Let me know if you know any info on India - thanks!
Just discovered your website. Good luck with the adoption process!
Post a Comment