Saturday, January 3, 2009

Help Wanted!

Sheesh, just when I think we had it all settled Graham starts saying he's not sure about Frances after all! So I asked him if he still wanted Mia and he said he was not leaning towards Mia anymore either. OK, so I asked if he had any ideas of his own or was he just planning on letting me think up the names and then he'd shoot them down? He said he just just couldn't think of any names right now. Well, get thinking mister!!
So I'm asking my blog friends if you have any ideas? We would like an older name like Olivia, Hannah, Isabel, Emma, Grace, Hope; but all those have become very popular. Which is why I thought Frances was so perfect. OK, I also like the name Florence (my grandma's name) but Graham ( and others) had a very strong negative reaction to that one, so it's out. I also love the name Tess, but unfortunately I named the dog Tess over 5 years ago. I've suggested that we could re-name Tess to something else and then use it for our baby, but Graham thought it would be like naming our kid after our dog, and that was just too weird. OK, and a couple more names I really love; Yesenia and Guadalupe. These were the names of two sweet little girls I taught in Chicago and I just fell in love with both names! I know, I know, it's be strange to name our Chinese baby traditional Mexican and Spanish names and I know we won't end up naming her either, but I still love them! And just so you don't think I'm the only one with strange name ideas, Graham wants to name her Kix, after Kix Brooks of Brooks and Dunn the country singers. And God help me but I think Kix is kinda cute.
So she could be Kix Storey or maybe Guadalupe Storey or who knows.
Please, for the love of God, help us think of some normal names!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clearly a name intervention is in order (just kidding!). I'll loan you my baby name book today (which will require me to enter the room of which we don't speak so be grateful! LOL). It was so fun to look through!

Karen Travels said...

PLEASE don't go with Hannah - everyone is naming their child Hannah.

My friends have a 6 year old named Lydia - it is old fashioned and not popular and so cute. I also think Eleanor is cute.

I had a sweetie pie named Guadalupe too. And then the following year I had a little cutie named Yamilet. I love that name.

Check out this site (if you haven't already) it tells you which names are being used and not so used:

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

We named our daughter after her 2 grandmothers, Rose and Anna and so far she's only the 2nd Roseanna we know personally. Maybe you can combine some family names to come up with something that works.

Debra said...

Yeah, please don't go with Hannah, which is a pretty name but overdone at this point. Like Heather was a few years ago.

And... Kix? Isn't that a cereal? Please no.

Other names we thought about were Rowan, and Tristan (both can be used for either gender), and I've always been partial to Pilar, but I didn't choose it because it seemed a little ethnic for a pasty white kid with red hair and freckles. In retrospect it would have been fine.

I say name her whatever you want, really. If you want to name her Heather Hannah Emily I'll still think she's the most adorable and perfectly named baby ever, because that's the way people are about babies, especially ones that are this long-anticipated.

I know an Eleanor, and I know a Jocelyn (goes by Jocie), and I've always liked names like Claire. You've got lots of options.

Also I have a friend at school named Lelise - pronounced Luh-lisa. She's African but I don't know where from.

I also nearly named my daughter Vivian, after my grandmother. I sometimes wish I had done so, as a middle name, but there it is.

淡淡花香 said...

I have no much idea about English names, but we Chinese definitely love two names: rose and lily. These are two beautiful flowers and called 玫瑰 and 百合 in Chinese characters.