I start school tomorrow and while getting ready I remembered a conversation I had with someone during the last school year.
It was a friend of a friend, we didn't know each other and were making small talk.
She asked me what I do and I told her I taught Deaf kids. She gave me a funny look and asked how I did that. I told her I went to the schools that have Deaf kids and work with them and their teachers. She had this incredulous look on her face and said
"You teach kids that are dead??"
Believe it or not this is not the first time a person has made this mistake, so I wasn't too shocked.
"No," I said "I teach kids who can't hear. They are Deaf."
"Oh!!" she said while turning red.
At least she didn't ask me if I could read Braille.
(and yes, that happens a lot. Way more then the dead thing)
5 comments:
Hahaha!
This reminds me of the "I said FOREIGN films!" story.
OMG does EVERYONE remember that story??
I'm telling you FOREIGN film and PORN film sound the same when said quickly. Damn it.
It sounds like you need to teach her too, considering that she is deaf herself!
But seriously, why would anyone ask you if you taught dead kids?
I don't know what she was thinking. One person explained that they thought I taught kids about death. If that were a real job, how horrible.
Thanks for your comments on my blog. I think 2009 will be your year, and hopefully you will have that baby when I come through Juneau next summmer!!
I didn't know you taught deaf children, how interesting. I hope you have a wonderful year!
Post a Comment