It's been sunny here since Friday! And I don't mean "sunny" like most people in Juneau mean "sunny". Normally when people here say it's sunny out it means it's not, at this moment in time, raining. I remember my first year teaching here and overhearing a teacher tell her class to have a nice recess since it was sunny out. I looked outside and it was covered in clouds, not a blue speck of sky to see. I've also learned what a "sucker hole" is. It's when the sky is all cloudy and a then the clouds move a tiny bit and a little hole of blue sky peeks through and then someone (usually a tourist) says "Look! It's starting to clear up!" That's when you say "Sucker" Because it's never ever going to clear up, ever.
However, for the past three days it has not only been sunny, but hot (for here)! It's been above 70 and it's getting old. We can't take the dogs for a long walk because they overheat, however they do enjoy their swimming pool in their back yard. If I wanted all this sunshine and heat I would have stayed in Fairbanks. I have taped more garbage bags to my window so it will be dark enough for me to sleep, but really, how longer can this go on? Most people ask me about Alaska are curious about the dark winter. The winters I can handle fine, it's the constant sunshine that drives me totally nuts! That was one reason I liked Juneau, because even though we get a lot of light, it's not so bad when it's cloudy most of the time! OK, I'll take a couple more days of this then I'm putting a sprinkler up on the roof so it feels like like its raining again.
No comments:
Post a Comment