So yesterday I was in a conversation and someone said “My house is like a Chinese Laundry!” Then they looked at me and said “Ooops, I’m, so sorry. Did I offend you?” I blinked a couple of times and said “Huh, what? Oh…OH, no. I mean, my house looks like a Chinese laundry too. Should I be offended?”
The back story on this is that Juneau had a big avalanche and it took out all our cheap hydro power. So now we are using very very very expensive diesel which will make our power bills 5 times higher, until they can get into the back country and fix the lines. This will take months. So we have all found out what takes the most electricity and it’s the fridge and the dryer. Hence the Chinese laundry comment. (Also hence our new refrigerator that's not 35 years old!)
What makes it worse is our snotty assed governor wouldn’t declare it a disaster, so we won’t get any financial help from the state. (I sorta kinda like our governor, even though she almost openly hates Juneau. Actually I think that’s why I kinda like her, before I moved here I openly hated Juneau too. Now I just openly hate downtown Juneau. The Valley ROCKS!)
So we are all a little on edge about the power thing. All the schools are running on half their lights. Some stores are closing early and when you go into Wal-Mart or Fred Meyers it’s so dark it’s spooky.
So anyway, I wasn’t offended by the comment, but I’m not Chinese. My invisible baby is, but she’s still a figment of my imagination, so she wasn’t offended either. Was that an offensive comment?? Please, do share your thoughts the two people who read my blog!
1 comment:
I'm quite offended by the apparent changeability of your previously mentioned hatred of your current resident location. ;o)
Post a Comment